Installation as part of Group exhibition Loophole to happiness at Trafo gallery, Budapest. Black Communism – 9 shirts, hand painted slogans, old sewing machines. 2010
Group Exhibition Loophole to Happiness sets out to locate and explore the freedom-enhancing loopholes that exist on the margins of repressive social systems from East European communism to global capitalism. Faced with the perfection of techniques of absorbing criticism and the systematic mobilisation of our creativity, sociability and sentiments for economic ends, the search is on for new forms of resistance to the endless pressure of production. The exhibition takes the inventive strategies of worker resistance under communism as the starting point for fresh attempts to imagine exceptions, find escape routes and evade the smooth surface of today’s neo-liberal capitalist order. Prlja presented the work ‘Black Communism”.
The T-shirt slogan is:
In the installation Black Communism, a line of industrial sewing machines stand frozen in action, seemingly abandoned by its workforce as a protest against the conditions of labour today.
The writings on the t-shirts refer to the Black Wave cinema movement in ex-Yugoslavia int the late 1960s, – which was an expression of freedom under socialism, as well as (for myself, at least) a represntation of ‘communism with the possibility of self-criticism and freedom’. With this ‘Black Communism’ slogan, I am interested in searching and finding new political/social systems.
- Škvíra kartalk.cz, e štěstí ve Futuře, Foto report, by Silvie Šeborová
- artycok.tv, Škvíra ke štěsti (video)
- Deník Referendum, Jak vypadá škvíra ke štěstí?, Johana Lomová
- undo.net, Loophole to Happiness, Muzeum Sztuki, Lodz
- Culture.pl., Loophole to Happiness, Source: www.msl.org.pl
- International art news, Loophole to Happiness – Budapest – Hungary
- ninateka.pl. Loophole to Happiness/Furtka do szczęścia | Muzeum Sztuki Łodź
- plasterlodzki.pl, Loophole to Happiness w ms (foto), piątek, 28 stycznia 2011 11:38 Kinga Filińska
- — print control, Loophole to happiness, catalogue design
- ISABART, Škvíra ke štěstí / Loophole to Happiness
- artmap, sympozium, Reclaim Happiness: Opposing Systems Symposium / 24.5. 13-17/
Loophole to Happiness, Paperback, 2012, by